RE: Artist Biographies

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
D Sterner (dsterner)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:20:54 -0500

I find that Mark Harden's artchive is really helpful for gathering facts
about artists. The photos are quite large and may take a bit to load if
you are not on a T1 line, but worth the wait. There is also biographical
information available.
http://www.artchive.com/ftp_site.htm

hope this helps
-=deb=-

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Dunmire [SMTP:artshui]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 1999 12:45 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: Artist Biographies

>I am looking for sources, either on the net or books that would have short
>summaries about famous artists. When I want to do a lesson in art history
>or
>criticism I often don't have to time to read a lot of information and then
>compile the key aspects of an artists life, their style and work. I'm
>looking for a source that would give me a page of info on a wide variety
of
>artists. Any suggestions?

Hi Kathy,

I found a great little resource in a museum in Washington, DC, I believe-
but you could probably find it elsewhere. It is entitled,
"Accents on Artists" by Barbara and Peter Toohil. It was published by
"Art
'N Facts Inc."
It gives pronunciations and short facts about over 800 artists. I find it
invaluable.

Andrea in Pa.