Re: Year Round

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lon Nuell (lrnuell)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:22:22 -0600

It makes sense for all schools within a system on year round to be on the same
schedule.........k-12. To do other wise is ludicrous. If you are faced with
children going to schools in a city system and a county system then it is
possible, if they don't talk to each other that there would be different
schedules. Holidays in our system are such that year round schools are out for
six weeks in mid-summer and have approximately the same schedule for winter
holiday. Most families with a child in the traditional calendar middle or high
schools and one or more in year round elementary programs, have no trouble at
all with vacation schedules and have adjusted to any schedule disparity. Year
round (single track) is of great advantage to all children because it shorter
holidays break the "I forgot" syndrome and those who need tutoring can get it
when most needed during the three week intersessions rather than wait until
summer.........and teachers are more frequently engergized as they have more
breathing room during the school year.

Lon Nuell/ University art educator and school board member