Re: Adapted art question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rick (rlarson)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:19:18 -0500

In my humble opinion, I think that this schema that the student is modeling
depicts a level that the student feels comfortable with. Perhaps not,
however. If you feel the student is ready you may introduce new shapes, but
you have to ask yourself what is the most educationally beneficial for the
child. I had a student from 1st-6th that always drew the same thing everytime
she came to art. She loved what she drew and I was happy to give her the
chance. I honestly feel, that I was not going to change her' style.' no matter
what I did. What does her IEP say? Sometimes, in our wanting to teach and
help a child grow, we inadvertantly want them to conform to what we think the
drawing should look like. Anyway, just my thoughts. Betsy