Re: Art Education in Schools

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
jwoodin.us
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 13:06:53 -0600

Dustin Soper wrote:

> Do you believe that schools focus more on Sports than Fine Arts/Music
> Programs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dustin
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: jwoodin.us
If schools focus more on sports than on art & music programs, it is in
response to community and society pressures. Take a look at your local
cable T.V. line up...how many "sports" channels are there versus how
many "arts" channels?

If a fine teacher, who is a below average coach, loses more than his/her
share of games, the school administrators will receive more pressure to
fire the coach than the teacher. It is the inverse also...if a below
average teacher is a good coach whose teams win, he/she will have a
position as long as he/she wants it...the community, school and students
will tolerate the poor classroom performance for the coffee shop
bragging rights associated with the winning sports team.

It's a societal thing that's based on community traditions and the
relative open-mindedness of the boards who govern the community and the
school district. It's as much about winning as it is about sports or
arts. It's difficult for the average community person to be able to
brag about a program when there is not a scoreboard involved. Now, if a
sculpture program in a school could win the state sculpture
championship...

We need to hang in there with our arts support. More research is coming
around each day that puts the academic "scoreboard" to what we have
instinctively known for years: Arts education is vital and a MUST for
all students. The research is showing us that students who study art
and music achieve at higher levels in just about every educational
yardstick (except in the gym or on the field). I know! At our next art
show, let's all wear black & white striped shirts, blow whistles, and
put some numbers up on the score board. We will also need to create
some winners and some losers.