Re: help for a sub

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 08:52:29 -0500

Rebecca Gartley wrote:
> I sub everyday in a local school district for any subject
> K-12, but mostly secondary. I would like to develop some art lessons that I could
> always have with me. Too many times the regular teacher does not leave
> enough work.
How about keeping "Drawing with children" and "Drawing with the
Right side of your brain" with you (or some copies of pertinent
pages), and do some exercises.
I substitute for 3rd and 4th grade and the last time I used "Drawing
with children". I did the
"Bird" exercise with them. They loved it. Only I didn't tell them
what they were going to do- which they were very excited about and
then I said: "how many of you know how to draw a bird?"
I had an abundance of confident hands showing before my eyes and a
number of wilting backs slouching down in their chairs trying to be
invisible. "Then I said: "Would you believe you are all going to
draw birds today?" Everybody sat up and cheered! Anyway, they loved
it and once they realized how to break down lines and not be
intimidated by the whole image, they were fine. They were just happy
to have a relaxing moment. I scheduled it with their teacher because
there's more work than I could ever possibly finish (it's never
ending).

Sandra
astroboy