Re: Signatures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (litesal)
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 19:56:54 -0500

Joseph wrote:
> Who's the poor soul that's written this? Whoever you are, listen to
> the gal who types in blue--don't be browbeaten by what's in style
> today--it'll be out of style tomorrow! Think to yourself: Am I strong
> enough to put my name on my work? Or should I leave it off in case no
> one likes it? (That's just a joke, relax).
>
> On a personal note--I love signing my name to my work--I like the way it
> looks! And all my relatives--those who are gone, as well as those who
> are alive today, take great pride in seeing *their* surname up there
> to---so, we're all happy!

Dear Joe and All,

I, Litesal , am the "poor soul" who wrote that is is not
"fashionable" to put your name on your work.
However, that does not mean I don't identify myself with my work. When I
put my work on display, I have a tag with my name and all pertinent
information on display with the work. Furthermore, all information (name,
title, medium, size, and date) gets written on the back so that if someone
purchases the work, they know it's authentic. As I look around my home at
my artwork, I can honestly say that I can't find a place on any of my
paintings where my signature would NOT be distracting. This is my opinion,
perhaps I should not have used the word "fashionable." However, I suppose
that is the right word. I was thumbing through my Art In America magazines
last night, and was hard pressed to find signatures on current paintings
(perhaps they were cropped off to keep the viewer from being distracted).

Sincerely, Leah from PA