Re: Signatures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
rwilkin
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:09:06 +0500

Somehow it doesn't make sense not to sign the artwork. After all the
people that we hold up as examples certainly sign their work. I think
I would certainly question this policy.
Reatha

From: "The Austin's" <whest177>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet>
Subject: Signatures
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 11:52:39 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BF2916.976289E0

I am curious as to what expectations everyone has for student signatures =
on their artworks. I was trained to sign my name discreetly in the =
bottom right hand corner (as a general rule), and I have taught my =
students to do the same. Yet, last year when I took my student's artwork =
to our league contest, every one of our artworks were marked down in =
points for signatures appearing on the front. Some of these artworks the =
judges really had to look for. They said signatures distract from the =
artwork. My student's know that they will be marked down on their grade =
if the signatures distract, and that they must be discreet, but I have =
never heard of not signing one's work as being distracting. My students =
are upset, as it's hard for me to justify when almost all of my =
reproductions bear the artist's signature. Should I just not have them =
sign their work, or should I raise a stink at this year's contest?
Michal

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BF2916.976289E0

I am curious as to what expectations everyone has = for student=20 signatures on their artworks. I was trained to sign my name discreetly = in the=20 bottom right hand corner (as a general rule), and I have taught my = students to=20 do the same. Yet, last year when I took my student's artwork to our = league=20 contest, every one of our artworks were marked down in points for = signatures=20 appearing on the front. Some of these artworks the judges really had to = look=20 for. They said signatures distract from the artwork. My student's know = that they=20 will be marked down on their grade if the signatures distract, and that = they=20 must be discreet, but I have never heard of not signing one's work as = being=20 distracting. My students are upset, as it's hard for me to justify when = almost=20 all of my reproductions bear the artist's signature. Should I just not = have them=20 sign their work, or should I raise a stink at this year's = contest?
Michal
------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BF2916.976289E0-- --- You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: rwilkin To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-artsednet-4261K Reatha Wilkins Fine Arts Dept. Carolina Forest Education Center High School Myrtle Beach, SC --- You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: hm-aen.edu To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-artsednet-4261K