Re: Fwd: HS kids/not taking art seriously

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 22:37:03 -0700

Riaugus wrote:

> My advanced kids lack the knowledge in the elements/principles area. They
> quickly slop projects together, say "I like it that way" and want to know
> what project is next. (I am the new HS art teacher at this school, in the
> past they have been allowed to sit in class and not work, but they HAD to
> have their work in by the due date.)
> They want to do WHAT they want to do, but they do not have the technique or processes down
> yet.

Yow, this is so much like what I inherited when I transferred to
the HS nine years ago. My predecessor was also the Athletic
Director, to which I think he devoted most of his time. Other
teachers have told me the art program seemed non-existent until I
came.

You've got an uphill battle to fight. They've never had to learn
anything, or produce quality work. I had to set standards and
strict criteria for every assignment, no matter how small, and I
refused to accept anything that didn't fit the criteria well
enough to accept at least a C. Lots of bitching and whining and
Fs, but I stuck to my guns and have a credible program now. It
will probably take a few years for memories of the old ways to
die out (like when all the current students have graduated and
you can start fresh). Just hang in there; it WILL get better!

Maggie