Re: More Color Questions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 16:54:03 -0600

I think first that you be straight and honest with the students
that there are several theories even in pigments. They at least
need to be aware of pigment vs light applications. The Magenta,
Cyan, and Yellow system is also used in color photography
because they are the secondary colors in light and are used in
subtractive color theory as in processing color slides and prints.
I think printers use it also, but if we have any photographers or
formally trained printers out there they can set me straight.

If you want to get really complex as to how many secondary
and tertiary colors there are, does it matter ? By the way, I use
both tertiary and intermediate as well as both violet and purple
so students will realize that they really mean the same thing.
In ESL classes they teach us that in different cultures
they perceive colors differently based on exposure, training, etc.,
but in our shrinking world we will most likely settle on one system.

This conversation is getting very complex, because the subject is.
No one has brought up color temperature yet like using 3600 degree
lamps and tunstung balanced film. If you are like me you have limited
time to teach and must make choices. I get my 6th graders for 40 minutes
per day for perhaps nine weeks. For many of them that may be the last
art
class they ever take. I hope not. Anyway we need to open their minds
and give them the incentive to learn on their own. That's what every good
teacher does anyway.

If you wish to learn on your own, I suggest the following books:

Color Choices, Making Color Sense out of Color Theory
by Stephen Quiller

Blue and Yellow don't make Green
by Michael Wilcox

Making Color Sing
by Jeanne Dobie

They are all written by watercolor artists but it applies across mediums.
Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                         click on wduncan