Re: More Color Questions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jane Shiflett Manner (jmanner)
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 17:42:31 -0500

At 06:25 PM 11/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
..How many of you use cyan and magenta as primaries instead of blue and
>red?
>LM

I actually use both sets of primaries in HS Art I. The students are
exposed to a brief history of how artists have "seen" and used color. (The
part of the Time-Life Van Gogh book on Seurat and the physicist Ogden Rood
is one of my resources.)
They first do a twelve step color wheel using red, yellow and blue tempera.
Next they do one using the tempera equivalent of cyan, yellow and magenta
(the CYMK-cyan,yellow,magneta,black- on their computers and used in
commercial printing). By the way in tempera I have to use turquoise for the
cyan and the Dick Blick student grade works just fine. They are then to
make decisions about which to use when making certain types of green and
variations of violet. They are then given yellow, red, magenta,
ultramarine blue and turquoise and asked to paint a design they based on
Gothic Rose Windows (the Gothic Churches are studied at the same time)
making twelve colors that are pure hue: yellow, yellow orange, orange, red,
magenta, red violet, purple, blue violet, blue, blue green, green, yellow
green. The two color wheels are done on 8 1/2 x 11 paper which is punched
with three holes and added to the resource that each students keeps and
uses throughout high school. In Art I any time they paint they get both
reds and both blues. Later classes learn about pthalos, alizarin..., but I
think this initial experience in finding out that certain paints just will
not make certain colors is a really good experience.