Re: is black and white mixed a shade or tint?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 14:48:23 -0600

Red + Yellow + Blue = Mud

Of course some times you want mud. And yes I call all the Hues or
colors I create by mixing complements or near complements together
Neutrals. When you add just a bit of a colors complement to it (as blue
to Orange)
you are neutralizing it or dulling it. Dull red is created by adding
some green.
Light red is created by adding some white (tints). Darker red is
created by adding
some black (shades). (at least in theory)
But as rosie points out, I hide the black and I should get it out at
least to explain the
theory. As a watercolor artist I have always believed in creating my
own dark values.
I tell my students to try Red, green and violet it whatever amounts seem
to work.
Of course they prefer the lamp black of india ink but in time they may
understand that
even black should be rich in color. Or as my high school art teacher
Eilene Hughes use
to say, "that black looks like a hole in the painting."
Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                         click on wduncan