Re: history of coil pots

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jane Shiflett Manner (jmanner)
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 13:13:21 -0500

At 09:56 AM 11/7/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi everyone-
>I was wondering if anyone has anything about the
>history of coil pots...

You might find this of interest. I was in Xian, China this summer to see
the Terracotta Warriors. In a museum-type display on the 2nd story of one
of the archeological digs a 3-dimensional display shows how the uniformed
bodies were made of the 2000+ sculptures. Guess what! They were done with
big fat coils which were flattened to a degree and then joined, just as we
teach our students. There was also a Imax type movie which reaked of
Hollywood in the days of Ben Hur and Charlston Heston which did not show
this. Personally, I buy the coil theory deomonstrated by the scientists
not the docudrama of the movies makers.