Re: is black and white mixed a shade or tint?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 17:16:29 -0500

Woody Duncan wrote:
>I don't teach tints and shades in middle school mainly because like many
>art >teachers I hide the black, and take white and black and brown out of
>every >watercolor set.
I am curious to know why you do this. I teach colour theory from a very
early age but mostly through play. I do not introduce black and white right
away and just use the primary colours; red, yellow and blue the first year.
But after that my students can also have white and black to make their
colours lighter or darker but I also tell them that black and white are not
really colours but like someone has allready said here:"Black is the
absence of color and white is the presence of all color". They learn about
secondary colours and we make lots of different shades and tones in all
kinds of painting projects. Now reading this I just wondered if I had been
doing something wrong all along, cannot see it though for they know colour
theory pretty well by the time they are 11 and 12 years old.
Best regards from the far north,
Rosa