Re: is black and white mixed a shade or tint?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 10:23:33 -0600

Color can be simple or complex. My student teacher was quizzing the
6th graders and kept getting red, blue and green as primaries. Later
I explained to him that the sixth grade teachers teach color light theory
in science. That's good but it needs to be clarified that it works differently
in different mediums, i.e.: pigment, light, photo processing, printing, etc.
if you work in a darkroom you deal with yellow, magenta and cyan. Those three
colors were considered as possible primaries years ago but the present
color theory system won out. I don't teach tints and shades in middle
school mainly because like many art teachers I hide the black, and take
white and
black and brown out of every watercolor set. I don't know if I cheat my students
or not since I teach color theory per sec only to the sixth graders. In
later classes
I refer back to color theory when appropriate and I keep a color wheel
on display
to refer to. I explain that many working artists never learned formal
color theory,
while others make fastidious use of it.
Any suggestions would be welcome

Bicyclken wrote:

> As far as I know black and white are not colors at all. Black is the absence
> of color and white is the presence of all color.
> When black and white are mixed with a color the color changes value and is
> either tinted(white) or shaded(black).
> When black and white are mixed together they produce tones of grey. So a
> color that has both black and white together is a tone of that color.
> Ken Schwab
> San Jose CA

                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                         click on wduncan