RE: Fine Arts Night

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Eliza Jones (ejones)
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 19:20:31 -0500

What about having a few students teach a few parents some of the things they
have learned. You could set up a station or two, for something
manageable-mono-printing, Xero transfer . . . I'm sure there are a million
things. I guess a long drawing type thing wouldn't work-but if you hook
peoples' interest by getting them involved it may give them a new
perspective from which to view student work and generate some enthusiasm. If
you choose a few well-spoken kids who can give a little background in the
lesson, that would add a lot, too. This is something I dream of doing once
my program is more developed.
Eliza in Boston

-----Original Message-----
From: The Austin's [SMTP:whest177]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 5:56 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Fine Arts Night

Does anyone else have a "Fine Arts Night" for their high school
students? When I started my program 6 years ago (no art in the district
prior) I wanted some special way for my kids to show off their artworks
locally, but because our district is so small I didn't feel I'd get much
response from the community. Now, the music dept. has a variety show, the
band kids play their solos, forensics students put on their skits, and my
students show their work. I am happy with the overall idea of this night, as
it gives those students with creative talents a chance to show off their
talents, but I feel like my kids get put on the back burner this night.
Parents come in, walk around and view the artwork, then go to the auditorium
to watch the performance. I guess I'm looking for some ideas to add more WOW
to the visual arts, so that patrons would linger longer or at least express
more emotion! Every year my students work extremely hard on their exhibit,
and they get so excited about it, yet there is always this "let down"
afterwards. I'm missing something - WHAT? The exhibit is in the spring, but
I'm starting on it now. Thanks!
Michal