Fwd: HS clean-up time

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sages7
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:44:46 EST

--part1_0.6853be45.25539e9e_boundary

From: Sages7
Full-name: Sages7
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:17:48 EST
Subject: Re: HS clean-up time
To: litesal, artsednet

In a message dated 11/3/99 7:56:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
litesal writes:

<< I love Larry's idea for making a student the "cleaning supervisor."
However, since I teach elementary,
and I only see students once a week for 40 min., I would not have the
student use all his/her class >>

Leah,
I teach elementary school also for the same amount of time. What I did was to
create a Help wanted sign. There were several jobs available: supervisor,
sanitary engineer, sink monitor, floor maintenance, noise control,
collectors/distributors, time keeper,etc.. The students (2-5th grade only)
had to fill out a job application at the beginning of the year for the job
they were interested in. I "hired" the students and each class has a poster
with their posted jobs. This seems to work really well during cleanup time.
We take the last 5 minutes of class time to do "our jobs" and then sit down
quietly and wait for dismissal. I feel as though students have taken
ownership of their artroom by adding this process to our class time. They are
proud of their job, and work hard at keeping it ( just like in the real world
they can be dismissed and another student hired).

Don't know if this would work for you, but I though I would suggest it.
Good luck!

:) Smiles from GA,
Heather

--part1_0.6853be45.25539e9e_boundary--