RE: value ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 00:05:51 -0500

Aaron and Jennifer wrote:

> I am having a terrible time trying to explain value to my 8th
graders.
> I explained highlights as where the light is reflects off
> the object; the shadows are where the light cannot reach the
object. (In so
> many words) I have even had the students point out the areas on
specific
> objects, but the students can't take that information and relate
it to their
> work. Are there any ways in helping my students understand value
(in terms
> of highlights and shadows)?
>
> Jennifer in Michigan

How about spending a few classes making props and set ups and
breaking into groups and openly discuss shadows and highlights. Re
arrange and also move a rolling light source or swing lamp and
change the light source. Why don't you relate it to science. Do a
unit on the phases of the moon- are they playing with you? My
oldest
son learned this at age 5> I know he was aware before other kids
his
age but now that they are in 3rd grade they all seem to understand
this, especially after spending a month on moon and space units.
They had to do posters of the different phases and make a 3D
standing mobile- as a part of science class not art. You could
easily incorporate this into one or two of your classes. Got any
tennis balls and a lamp?
Then have them make pictures by just drawing the shadow not the
object.
Sandra