value ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Larry Seiler (lseiler@ez-net.com)
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 05:43:44 -0600

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:45:17 -0500
From: "Aaron and Jennifer" <THEGREEN99>
Subject: value ideas
Are there any ways in helping my students understand value (in terms
of highlights and shadows)?

Jennifer in Michigan

Jennifer....I've done a number of things....but one thing you could do is
have students make a small value scale. Use tagboard or watercolor paper,
acrylics, make 'em about 2" x 7.5"...and divide
into five 1-1/2" sections. Black on one end...pure white on the other and
three middle values in-between. Then....take a hole punch and punch a hole
in the middle of each value. The kids can then hold the value strip
up...compare it with what they are looking at and see the area of shadow,
highlight, or middle value matching the value of what is seen through the
hole nearest to the value of the strip.

Larry Seiler
artist's site- http://cwinc.net/larryseiler
WetCanvas Artists page- (shorter and quicker loading)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Gallery/S/Larry_Seiler/index.html
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man
depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw

  • Reply: ricki fromkin: "Re: value ideas"
  • Reply: Artemis420: "Re: value ideas"
  • Reply: LM Paris: "Re: value ideas"
  • Reply: Maggie White: "Re: value ideas"
  • Reply: CPKinomi: "Re: value ideas"
  • Reply: menichino: "Re: value ideas"
  • Reply: Dianna: "Re: value ideas"