RE: research

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:26:22 -0500

One of my pet peeves is having English, math, science, etc. referred to
as the "academic" subjects and art as a "special," "elective", etc, etc.
I believe art is certainly as academic a discipline as any of the
others. Along with this, my system is heavily involved with a program
called "High Schools That Work." It is geared towards having high school
graduates prepare for the world of work through study in both "academic"
and "vocational" disciplines and by the completion of something called a
"tech prep" program. Seldom are any of the arts ever mentioned. When
they are, it varies-some lump them in the academic section and others in
the vocational section, but the main thing that bugs me is the fact that
we teach all these work world skills but are generally discounted
otherwise.

Another gripe is the numbers of people who say, "Ooooo, it must be such
fun to teach art. You get to have only the interested students, don't
you?" Yes, it is fun, but it's also hard work, and anyone who thinks I
have only students who want to be there hasn't met my guidance dept.
Linda in NC