Re: FYI NEA

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 22:00:31 -0700

Dennis Freeman wrote:

> I don't know, Jan, but in a country where taxpayers are footing the bill for
> new stadiums for millionaire athletes (and billionaire owners), I'm not sure
> if it's too much to fund a few things like "Piss Christ". Taste is a fairly
> subjective matter, don't you think?

To set the record straight, Serrano did not receive money from
NEA. He was awarded money from a museum in Winston-Salem, NC,
which had been the recipient of an NEA grant. The NEA had
nothing to do with Serrano.

But you're philosophically right, who's to say what constitutes
art worthy of government grants?

Maggie