Re: Critiques (HS)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:45:10 -0700

Riaugus wrote:

> Hello.
> I would like to know how other high school art teachers use critique. What
> format do you use. How do you get your students to talk about other art work <snip>
>
> Please help. If you could list some key words on how you start your crit.
> and how you get them to TALK!! ANY INFO WOULD HELP!

My students are naturally reserved and many will not speak out
loud to the class. To ensure that everyone participates in
critiques, they have to write them, using the assignment's
criteria as the basis for their judgments. Our format is very
simple: The artworks are stuck up on the chalkboards with
magnets, with a numbered Post-It on each one. The students'
names are always on the back, so they won't know who all created
them. There are three parts for the critique. Part A is,
Choose 1 or more works that were successful, and explain why they
were successful (again, based on the criteria). Part B is,
Choose 1 or more that need improvement, and give that artist some
advice. Part C, Write about your own; what you did successfully,
and what you would have liked to have done differently. If their
work isn't up their, they must state that, and it's an automatic
30 points off.

After the first couple of critiques, which are done by all
students at the same time, I just have the art set up and they
write the critique sometime during the period (like when their
paint is drying). I tell them the critique is their ticket out
of the class. I'm always impressed with their thoughtful
comments and advice, and that they're very hard on their own
work.

Maggie