Re: inclusion to what point...?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Melissa Enderle (melissae)
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 22:28:03 -0600

I teach at a school that once was totally for the orthopedically impaired.
About 15 years ago when the new school was built, it changed from up to 21
year old students to an inclusive setting, from ages 3 to 8th grade. I spoke
to the principal (who has been there forever) who said that at first, they
tried to do the total inclusion for all kids - meaning that all kids were in
the "regular" classroom. She and the staff soon realized that the regular
classroom was not the least restrictive environment for some kids. Some
students' needs are best served in a different class setting, enabling them
in such setups to maximize whatever abilities they might have.
__________________________________
| Melissa Enderle |
/)| melissae |(\
/ )| || \
__( ( art teacher/ adaptive art /_) ) )__
\ / \ /
\ _/ \_ /
/ / \ \
/ / \ \