RE: egg tempera

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Larry Seiler (lseiler@ez-net.com)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:48:18 -0600

Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:48:33 PST
From: "Donald Peters" <softsnow>
Subject: RE: egg tempera

>Anyone ever try egg tempera painting with any of their students?
>Suggestions?

I've been wanting to do egg-tempera but have been unable to find a source
for it... Any help?
<snip>

Well...there are the purest methods for doing this traditionally, but
basically egg yolk is an emulsion. Break the egg's shell keeping the yolk
contained in one half. Pour out as much of the white of the egg as
possible...and then carefully roll egg's yolk onto a paper towel to soak up
any addtional egg white still there.

Take a cleaned baby food Gerber jar...and holding the skin of the yolk with
the fingers of one hand and the yolk on the paper towel resting on the
other hand...tip the hand until the yolk breaks and pours into the jar.

Now....you can use a small palette knife, and mix this yolk with any
pigment such as watercolor, tube gouach...tempera...etc;

When the paint dries on the paper....you can literally buff it to a shine
with a soft cloth.

Larry
Larry Seiler
http://cwinc.net/larryseiler