Re: non art certified possible?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Garrett Love (glove2001)
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 09:33:02 EST

>From: Pablo90512
>To: Museee, artsednet.edu
>Subject: Re: non art certified possible?
>Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:30:27 EST
>
>In Texas ..if you have taken a few art courses you can take an exam and get
>art certified. Personally I have found that those that take that route
>really struggle for many reasons. They tend to approach teaching art like
>they approach teaching Reading or Math....They tend not to understand
>developmental issues and want to teach like what they knew it to be years
>ago
>when they had an art course. Also art history, correct terminology etc all
>are big issues even in elementary areas.
>
>The hardest part is lack of respect from all those art teachers who paid
>their dues.
>
>I am sorry to be so negative.

I feel that it is very important for the art educator to face art education
like a subject such as math or reading because it is equally important.
Students need the chance to express visually just like they need the chance
to write an analytical paper. I believe that too many teachers veiw art
class as a fun time when the student's brain is on delay. As educators we
must change this stereotype of art class to earn some respect in the school
system and to educate our students to be critical thinkers, something that
everyone needs a lesson in. We must show other educators and administrators
that children need art. If this is not the belief of many, then why are we
here? I feel that if art educators really try hard with a lesson plan or
sequence, that is absolutely what we need in the school system.
Garrett