Re: non art certified possible?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
rwilkin
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:00:55 +0500

With all due respect, wouldn't that be the same as trying to teach
math, science, etc., without having indepth knowledge of the subject
or any idea how to do it? Why do people think that it is possible in
Art but not possible in any other subject? I am truly concerned about
administrators who hire people in any subject who have no expertise
or training.
Reatha

From: Museee
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:40:19 EST
Subject: non art certified possible?
To: artsednet.edu

Hi,

I doubt that I can do this but thought I would ask anyhow in case any of you
know of unique districts and needs.

If I am a certified elementary school teacher in New York, having taught
pre-k and Kindergarten for 12 years here, is it possible in any state or
specific district that needs teachers to teacher art K-12 or lower than 12,
without being certified in art? I realize that teaching without an Art Edu.
background is not the best thing for children, but perhaps I could become
certified in Art at some point? I am a self taught artist myself, but I
know that is very limited preparation for teaching art. I have taught
private lessons, but....... Its just a thought I am having here, wondering
if maybe places like California need art teachers and do not have enough
certified people?
Thanks.
Susan
Reatha Wilkins