Re: Photography course prereq.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:53:46 -0500

Hi everyone --
Related to this thread on photography, but this is a personal request --
we're trying to set up a dark room in our basement. Does anyone know of
any good web sites with information about basic set up and things that I
should remember from my college classes in photography?? My son is doing
photo in his H.S. art class now so he'll have some basic info from there
but we're wondering about wiring the room -- how many safelights and do you
need running water -- stuff like that. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Liz in rural NY

----------
> From: WRapf
> To: jfgro; artsednet.edu
> Subject: Re: Photography course prereq.
> Date: Monday, November 30, 1998 5:41 AM
>
> Judy,
> Late getting to some old mail so here is a response about your question
about
> the place for Photography in a high school curriculum.
>
> I agree with you that intro. to photographer should not have a
prerequisite at
> the high school level. Photography is a wonderful medium for teaching
the
> elements of art, composition, critiquing, craftsmanship, observation
skills,
> creativity, and visual expression.
> Kids should really take an intro. to photo course before taking any other
art
> course. Kids relate to photography, are not threatened by the skills
> involved, and it can serve as a great motivator to turn kids onto the
> excitement of creativity in the visual world. Isn't that what an intro.
> course is supposed to do?
>
> There are several videos on Ansel Adams. The most recent, (filmed
shortly
> before his death 1983) I think is simply called "Ansel Adams -
Photographer"