Re: goose gourds

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
mkmkmurphy (mkmkmurphy)
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 19:00:03 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Artedsusan <Artedsusan>
To: MPBC90 <MPBC90>; artsednet.edu
<artsednet.edu>
Date: Sunday, November 08, 1998 4:34 PM
Subject: re: goose gourds

>Hi! I attended a workshop this summer where we embellished gourds with
black
>sharpie markers and some also used woodburning tools. The material is at
>school, but did you know that there is a National Gourd Society? The woman
>presenting said that she went to an event they held in Ohio last summer and
it
>was amazing. Some examples she had were small gourds cut in half to make a
>bottom and a top. They were then 'hinged' together with pine needles and
>lined with velvet, placed on a string to make a necklace or charm holder.
>Some had intricate bead work too and they were really beautiful. I
remember
>her saying to wash the gourds in bleach and water with a scrubbie to get
the
>mold spores off that might be left from the drying process. That is all I
can
>remember now, but you might want to check to see if the gourd society has a
>web site. I can search for the information if you want me to... Susan
Briggs

>In a message dated 11/7/98 2:39:34 AM, MPBC90 writes:
>
><<I recently attained a large quantity of "goose gourds" from a local
>gardener.
>They are dried, and light tan in color. After washing them, "experiencing"
>them and drawing them just one time, I am going to incorporate a Texture
>lesson...I am going to have students "create" the illusion of a texture on
the
>surface of the gourds...with marker, paint, etc. What do you think? Am a
>little worried about this. (These are 6th Graders...a big class, in need
of
>challenging.) Wondering if I should just have them paint them, and have fun
>with just that. Had this idea a while ago, and I am still debating. I
>thought feathers, ruffles, lines, etc., would be a unique approach to these
>beautiful gourds, and just in time for Thanksgiving/Holiday gift giving,
>rather than seeming too crafty with "put an eye on each side, then tie a
bow
>on the neck." That is what the woman who grows them and sells them does
with
>each one. Any comments? Need to know by next week!
>Mary-Pat>>
>Minnie Black is an artist frpm Kentucky who began creating sculptures from
gourds after finding one in her driveway (having strayed from her garden).
She has turned her family store into Minnie Black's Gourd Craft Museum.
Look for her work in Passionate Visions by Alice Rae Yelen. I know there is
at least one reproduction of her work and a very short biographical
paragraph. ISBN # - 0-87805-677-7. Hope you find her an interesting
exemplar.
Kerry