Re: Re: art centers for K-4

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 18:43:00 -0500

----------
> From: Gail1611
> To: menichino
> Subject: Re: Re: art centers for K-4
> Date: Sunday, November 29, 1998 10:37 AM

. . . . . . . . share with all of us. We did have someone before
> explain this idea but it never was that clear to me. Gail

Hi Gail and all --
Lori (Lindsborg Arts Council) brought up the subject of art centers; I
asked her for any ideas she received because I wasn't sure how to include
them. In response to Gail's request, I'll share Lori's answer --

"I have several center ideas for both times, when the kids are finished and
as part of the reading center times. Center time is when children are
divided into groups and told to rotate around the room to different
activities. Usually 2-4 children are in the group. I have been in several
classrooms where centers lacked quality. Children were playing with a
puzzle or doing a craft activity. I think we, art educators, can offer the
teachers packets of center supplies. Here are a few of my ideas:
collage materials with the Ezra Jack Keats book or books.
matching game-- match artist with painting.
writing activities with art -- provide picture and give options such as
write a letter to the artist, write a news article about the painting,
write a story about the picture."

I wrote Lori that I had never considered making my art ideas available to
the regular classroom teachers for their centers, and it seems like a great
idea!

Anybody else have ideas on how to use centers, we're still interested....
Liz in rural NY