2) If your district uses elementary classroom teachers -- Describe
the preservice training required in the elementary ed. programs at
your local University. Required classes and credit hours.
I am the only teacher in our district with a major in art education. I
teach at the junior high. The high school teacher is now certified in art.
There is a fine arts teacher at the elementary level. She concentrates on
music. There is no requirement by our district for art preservice
training. I try to help any teacher who asks but most don't want to have
anything to do with art.
3) On the elementary level how many times and for how long each
time each week will the art teacher see the students?
On the upper elementary level, students go to the fine arts teacher about
twice a week for 30 minutes. Music is stressed more than visual arts.
4) On the secondary level -- what are the visual arts requirements
from the state for high school graduation?
The state does require a fine arts credit but doesn't specify visual arts.
5) Does the state core curriculum provide by your State Office of
Education reflect the National Standards for the Arts? Does it
include components of aesthetics, critism, art history, and
Yes. The core curriculum includes aesthetics, criticism, history and
6) Did your preservice training include aesthetics, critism, art
history, as well as studio classes? How many credit hours of each?
How long ago did you graduate? Has the Art Ed. program at your
University changed since you graduated to include components from the
I graduated from Southern Arkansas University in 1983. The program has
undergone a major transformation in the past several years according to
their website. I am not sure about the inclusion of the National
Standards. I think only 9 hours of history were required or offered, this
included aesthetics, criticism and history. I
7) Describe your districts inservice program for the visual arts
8) Are you a member of your state arts education association? Are you
a member of the NAEA?
9) Did your school or any of the schools in you district participate
in the NAEP assessment?
10) If you do not have a masters degree and were to return to the
University to get one, what would you hope to find in a masters
I don't have my masters but I would look for convenience with distance
learning a necessity.
Linden-Kildare Jr. High
102 N. Taylor
Linden, TX 75563
"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to
remain an artist once he grows up."
- Pablo Picasso