Re: Teachers are reluctanct to change?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharon Hause (smhause)
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 17:46:19 PST

In the district where I teach high school art students, computers are
very much a part of our jobs. All attendance, grades, correspondence
through announcements, e-mail between administration and staff, lunch
tickets, etc. are being done on our classroom computer. Each teacher
has and is expected to know how to use programs (it is in our contract
to be computer proficient) In our school with a population of just under
1000, about 50% are enrolled in an art course with either a full time or
part time art teacher. Between our two classrooms we have 5 computers
(two IBM, three Macs) a scanner, a digital camera, four printers, and
two drawing pads. Four out of the five have internet access. The
district offers many workshops and classes for credit to get us
opportunity to learn and attempt to keep up. Still not enough time to
learn all the software and use the technology when you teach 7 periods a
day. Most of the staff has been fairly progressive with all the
technology. It wasn't too long ago that I didn't know how to turn on a
monitor. Anyway, we strongly teach the fine arts but also use the
internet for research and ideas, the camera for preparatory work,
programs that can help with preparing colors for screen separation, etc.
I'm am hooked and can go on and on. I am also working on my masters and
need to do research next semester. One consideration is computers in
the classroom. After what you have found would you recommend this as a
thesis if you were to do it again?

Sharon in Wisconsin