RE:ID:UBC, mask making

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jennifer Diena-Leigh Munroe (jdmunroe)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:48:58 -0800 (PST)

Janice,
I appreciate your prompt reply to my query. In response to your
reservations regarding my approach to the mask unit, I think you should
know that I am aware of the cautions for those who utilize the
art/imagery of other cultures. There are issues regarding appropriation -
esp. misappropriation - of indiginious art by well meaning individuals
who are not informed about the cultural imperatives and significance of
these works. Anthropology is a subject area with which I am extremely
familiar - my father was an Anth. professor - and I have travelled and
studied in the area in the area I will be focusing on (Mexico)
failry extensively. I also plan to work with the Latin American liason in
my school to work some ideas out cooperatively. Re. the materials issue:
this is not a problem since I am not asking them to make a "Mayan", or an
"Aztec" mask, but rather, to use these as a starting point (considering
the elements used,and the purpose/intent [context] of the artist or
culture) to consider as they create their own mask.
I do want to thank you, and so many others for their thoughtful and
helpful responses to my mask making questions. Any more ideas? I could use
them!
Jennifer