Re: beauty-American Copyright Law

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
craig roland (rol1851.EDU)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:18:44 -0500

Marcia,

you wrote:

> For example, one cannot buy a work that one dislikes (finds ugly or
>repulsive, for instance) just in order to destroy it, or buy Van Gogh's
>Irises and cut it up to sell little pieces of it. I don't know what
>American law says about this, but it might be interesting to ask your
>students what law they would write---a good connection, possibly, with a
>social studies class.

FYI: Section 106A of the Copyright Act (US) applies specifically to art
works and covers the above, i.e., one of the exclusive rights given to
artists is to prevent the intention distortion or destruction of their work.

Craig

CRAIG ROLAND. Associate Professor-Art Education.
School of Art and Art History, FAC 302,
University of Florida, Gainesville Florida.
32611-5801. (352) 392-9165 - Art Ed Office (352) 392-8453 - Fax
http://grove.ufl.edu/~rolandc/homepage.html
new email address: rolandc