Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1082

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
R. Moore (ronmoore)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:08:47 -0800 (PST)

Liz, in Rural NY points out that we often think of things in motion as
beautiful. This is very important, since most of the examples of beauty
we have been considering (and Marcia and I mention in our "walk") have
been static objects. It DOES seem to me that we are frequently pleased
aesthetically by natural motion. I vividly recall being riveted by the
simple, sinuous beauty of the constantly changing lines of colored sand
through which a small stream was running, on the Oregon Coast. What is it
about such things that grabs us? Is it the tacit analogy to human motion,
the sensuous action of the human body? Is it something even more
primitive, the systole and diastole of life itself? Is it our
appreciation of the inteplay of pattern and turbulence, or rhythm, or
graceful flow? I think this is a wonderful area to explore, one on which
philosophers have had little to say, by the way. I think kids could have
a field day (no pun intended) with it.
Ron Moore