Re: Art tests

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 08:38:55 -0800

Sandra wrote:

> <<We don't teach Art just to give kids wonderful
> creative experiences -- we expect them to learn something as well. The
> best way to see if they've learned it is to design interesting problems
> for them to solve -- which is really a type of test.>>

and Fred replied:

> I'm confused by the way you pose the two alternatives: a wonderful creative
> experience on the one hand, learning something on the other. I always thought
> that the best way to see if my students had learned something was to see if
> THEY could design interesting problems to solve -- which is really their art.
> Was I wrong?

Not wrong, just misinterpreting what Sandra wrote. She's not posing two alternatives;
she's expecting them to have a creative experience AS WELL AS learning something.
I'm not so sure the average student is capable of designing problems on his own the
way a professional artist does; to me, part of teaching is to design problems for them
to interpret and solve in a creative manner. Of course, there are a very few students
who are already capable of working independently, creating their own assignments
("problems") and working through them, while learning new media and techniques. Those
get to work on independent study in my classes.

Maggie