Re: December

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (KPRS)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 09:35:43 -0500

I used to do subtraction linoleum with my kids, and they made greeting cards
depending on their religous point of view, ie. Kwanza, Christmas, Hanukah....it
worked out well...I also did another project that was subtraction linoleum that
worked even better...and that was calendars for the new year....every kid would
pull a month out of a hat (and then there were the front cover, back cover,
telephone numbers, email address pages, and also I had kids do linoleum prints
that turned into stickers, i.e. birthday, anniversary stickers---so that everyone
in class HAD something to do with the calendar)...anyway, when they printed they
printed enough of their month so that everyone in the class got a January,
February, cover etc.....so by the end we had piles of the parts of the calendar,
and we collated them and they all got calendars...(p.s. I laminated all of the
pages BEFORE we put it together).

The main assignment was to make a calendar page that used the days as part of the
design...and it had to be a minimum of 3 colors....naturally we all used the same
page size.

(I use the words "used to do" because this year I only teach one art class, and
have directed myself in other directions--English, Gifted, Yearbook)

As far as how do I find time to do all that has to be done and keep the holiday
spirit? It's real hard, but cookie exchanges help, shopping months in advance
help, and limiting holiday gifts with the family to handmade ornaments only also
helps. (The handmade ornaments are portable, so you can work on them all
year)...my family will tell you that I have taken to going to craft fairs and
buying them on occasion when the going gets too tough, but they continue to make
the ornaments (which I think is cool).

San D