Re: Art Tests

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dennis Golombek (golombek)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:31:51 -0500

Sandra Hildreth wrote:

> Regarding a request for exmaples of art tests, Joseph wrote:
> > You mean like the old US Art School Home Study Course (or something like
> > that) ads such as: "If you can draw this face, you too can be an
> > artist?" And then present a simple cartoonish profile for them to copy
> > and grade them on how well they can do it?
> >
> > Forgive me, but an art test in this day and age seems a bit retro.

Forgive me , but with this new age of standards based education get used to
creating rubrics for your art projects. Many states, including New York State,
have adopted Standards-Based education that means a great deal of assessment.
Recently in conjunction with the New York State Art Teachers Association the
New York State Education Dept. held a workshop for several days dealing with
assessment in the visual arts.

As teachers we not only profess art but teach it and teaching means
discovering what a good job they are doing learning not only performing. It's
not , to paraphrase an old commercial, "your father's old art class anymore."
Students as well as teachers are accountable.

Dennis Golombek

"Take care of the luxuries and the necessities
 will take care of themselves."
                                Frank Lloyd Wright