Re: Art Tests

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dennis Golombek (golombek)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:31:51 -0500

Sandra Hildreth wrote:

> Regarding a request for exmaples of art tests, Joseph wrote:
> > You mean like the old US Art School Home Study Course (or something like
> > that) ads such as: "If you can draw this face, you too can be an
> > artist?" And then present a simple cartoonish profile for them to copy
> > and grade them on how well they can do it?
> >
> > Forgive me, but an art test in this day and age seems a bit retro.

Forgive me , but with this new age of standards based education get used to
creating rubrics for your art projects. Many states, including New York State,
have adopted Standards-Based education that means a great deal of assessment.
Recently in conjunction with the New York State Art Teachers Association the
New York State Education Dept. held a workshop for several days dealing with
assessment in the visual arts.

As teachers we not only profess art but teach it and teaching means
discovering what a good job they are doing learning not only performing. It's
not , to paraphrase an old commercial, "your father's old art class anymore."
Students as well as teachers are accountable.

Dennis Golombek

--
"Take care of the luxuries and the necessities
 will take care of themselves."

http://www.localnet.com/~golombek/