Re:Art Tests

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 01:33:13 -0500

Regarding a request for exmaples of art tests, Joseph wrote:
> You mean like the old US Art School Home Study Course (or something like
> that) ads such as: "If you can draw this face, you too can be an
> artist?" And then present a simple cartoonish profile for them to copy
> and grade them on how well they can do it?
>
> Forgive me, but an art test in this day and age seems a bit retro.

Excuse me, but there are many art teachers out here who use tests as a
valid way of assessing student knowledge and skills. We do not design
"Draw this face" tests, but create documents or problems for students to
solve that will give them an opportunity to demonstrate what they have
learned. For example, after teaching a unit on perspective drawing, I
might might give a quick quiz on terms, or ask students to write down or
sketch the steps they would take to draw room interiors in both one and
two point perspective. I prefer the second format as a way of assessing
student knowledge. We don't teach Art just to give kids wonderful
creative experiences - we expect them to learn something as well. The
best way to see if they've learned it is to design interesting problems
for them to solve - which is really a type of test.

--
Sandra Hildreth
Home Page: http://www.northnet.org/hildreth