Beauty and classroom activity

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Cindy Cronn (cindy_cronn.ne.us)
17 Nov 1998 08:21:42 U

Beauty and classroom activity 11/17/98

R. Moore's suggestion regarding Debi's ideas about Roman art reminded me of a group activity I have used with 8th graders. I photographed local buildings and provided examples of historic structures including the Pantheon, the Parthenon, Il Gesu, Notre Dame, a Romanesque monastery, etc. The students in small groups were to match up the local buildings with the best match from the historic buildings. Then we discussed the matches they made and found that, without a lot of knowledge about architecture, they were able to agree on many of the buildings. It was a more interesting way of helping students become aware of the history of the architecture in their hometown and also to ask them to take notice of buildings around them and their architectural detail. This activity was followed by a walk around the area to look at specific buildings and search for architectural detail.

--------------------------------------
Date: 11/16/98 11:01 PM
To: Cindy Cronn
From: artsednet.edu

artsednet-digest Monday, November 16 1998 Volume 02 : Number 1071

This edition includes :
Re: Cave paintings
Re:Object vs. Shape?
RE: Scratchboards
Re: Indian projects
Re: California art experiences
Re: Photography
ID/UA: Art and Ecology Project/ Art & Artists
Re: Beauty
Re: California art experiences
Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1058
1999 Catalog
Re: Art reproductions on the web: Haring
Van Gogh exhibit
Re: California art experiences
Cave painting
Substitute Lessons