RE:Photography and lesson for middle or 3-8th)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:16:17 -0500

> Re: Photography
> Date:
> Sun, 15 Nov 1998 20:11:32 EST
> From:
> Egartteach
> To:
> BluesTruth
> Hi...just an idea to think about if you get those disposable cameras >for your
> kids...Two years ago a local mall sponsored an event for second >graders from
> schools around the state (each system could only pick one student) >Anyways,
> the afternoon included a talk to the kids by a woman photographer from >TIME
> magazine who spoke to the kids about capturing an emotion,
> experience,etc...Telling a story through their photos...Then each kid >was
> given a disposable camera with some basic directions and a >stamped,self-
> addressed envelope back to the mall. The mall sponsors developed each >roll
> sent and enlarged one photo to an 8x10(framed) for a large (and >dynamic)
> display on the wall near the main entrance of the mall. The display >stayed for
> a good portion of the school year...Carol

I know this was mentioned last spring but I like to keep a camera in
the art box I use, it's also nice to have a disposable in the room
to take pictures as well. Then you are always documenting processes
and projects.

The other thing the above reminds me of is-Last year NPR did a
similar project with high school students, but they made an audio
tape.

A project to use which I've done with Rockwell(elementary school
age)
is to have kids split up in to pairs of 2 or 3, after doing history
and looking at the work of Rockwell, they must come up with their
own scene and take pictures of themselves posing for the scene. An
option is to
pose in the same manner as his paintings,i.e.-(lost tooth).(NM) etc.
I actually have several DBAE lessons on him, which are formally
written up but this is an idea.
Sandra
astroboy
http://home.fuse.net/astroboy