Re: Cave paintings

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:12:07 -0500

Hi --
Cave art is the first organized art history for my 1st graders. We go
outside and collect natural materials that may be used for painting with
(sticks, pine cones, etc.). Then we look at sample cave paintings, discuss
why they painted on the walls. I show them a real piece of charcoal and
how it draws, then give them vine charcoal which which to draw an animal on
a piece of grey paper that has had its edges ripped to simulate a piece of
stone. They then, over the course of the next few days, take turns taking
their rock into a large cardboard "cave", taping it temporarily to the
wall, and painting with their found paintbrushes (we just use red, yellow &
brown tempera -- we cheat!) While they're not in the cave, they work on a
series of small drawings comparing and contrasting "Me, Today" and "Me, if
I were a Caveman" -- things like where my food comes from, the clothes I
wear, what I do for fun. (I put them into their cumulative art folder as it
shows their ability to draw realistically as well as their perseverence in
drawing all 6 drawings!) In the case of less mature groups (we have some
Kdg/1st grade multiage and they're not ready for sustained drawing...) we
do collages -- one to show a cave person , one to show a today person --
there's some neat printed papers available that show animal skin designs,
and other papers that are printed with paisleys, denim, etc.
As a final wrap-up we get out the clay and texturize it with crumpled up
tin foil, then carve an animal outline into it. They really remember it
years afterward! One of my favorites.
Liz in rural NY