Re: time to be an artist

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
dwwebb
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 21:58:12 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BE0CF5.36194860

I know about feeling "burn out" and the frustration of not being able to =
do my "own thing". I have been teaching pottery for high school for 12 =
years and my answer to the burn out and frustration has been to consider =
the classroom as "my studio" with student "visitors". As I teach the =
concepts to them, they also see me working (usually on a related =
assignment) as they do. This fulfills my need to explore and I actually =
benefit from their very honest opinions! The atmosphere of the class =
room is one of a joined learning experience. With this approach I have =
always been inspired and have been enriched by the open and sometimes =
very real truth that comes from the "mouths of babes".
My feeling is this...above all else...be yourself..and let the kids =
see what you do and let the creativity flow on all sides.The sucesses I =
have had tells me I might be on the right track.
I might add-I was on leave for a year and taught grades k-5 and it =
worked for them too.=20
Laurie
-----Original Message-----
From: kprs <KPRS>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Sunday, November 08, 1998 12:18 PM
Subject: time to be an artist
=20
20 years of teaching has taught me this:=20
1. I am STILL an artist, even if I don't produce visual art.=20
2. Teaching is my art.=20
3. Diversify your art. I now work in poetry (portable art on =
slips of paper) and theater (costuming, puppets and acting)--art that is =
also portable, and with specific deadlines, forcing me to use all the =
little 'breaks' in life..for memorization, sewing, handwork etc.=20
My "new art" has taken me to greater levels than I have imagined, =
and I am no less an 'artist'.=20
My colleagues and I over the years have discussed how to find the =
time to do art, with careers and families. The female art teachers in =
the group have always had a tougher time justifing taking 'time' to do =
the work, when there are so many 'maintenance' tasks to be done in life =
(cleaning, cooking etc---my way has been to run a messier house and let =
things slide). For a couple of years we actually rented a room in a =
local highschool and ran our own adult school for art teachers...where =
we set our own goals and made art, discussed art etc...a sort of Oprah =
Winfrey Art Club for burnt out art teachers wanting to create.=20

One of my colleagues took over a room from her college bound =
daughter and set up a time commitment to work in there...and has resumed =
her work and has consequently won government grants because her work =
(while actually postponed because of family and career) came 'back' much =
richer and more poignant than before.=20

As with all things in life, prioritization is important, AND =
shuffling things around to make the important rise to the top is always =
tough, and full of guilt...what I had to do is remind myself that it is =
my need to express ( and the truths therein) myself that is most =
important, and the vehicle for that expression is limitless...whether =
painting, pottery, poetry or puppets. Once I made that realization, the =
rest was easy....=20

San D=20

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BE0CF5.36194860

I know about feeling "burn = out" and=20 the frustration of not being able to do my "own thing". I have = been=20 teaching pottery  for high school for 12 years and my answer to the = burn=20 out and frustration has been to consider the classroom as "my = studio"=20 with student "visitors". As I teach the concepts to them, they = also=20 see me working (usually on a related assignment) as they do. This = fulfills my=20 need to explore and I actually benefit from their very honest opinions! = The=20 atmosphere of the class room is one of a joined learning experience. = With this=20 approach I have always been inspired and have been enriched by the open = and=20 sometimes very real truth that comes from the "mouths of=20 babes".
  My = feeling is=20 this...above all else...be yourself..and let the kids see what you do = and let=20 the creativity flow on all sides.The sucesses I have had tells me I = might be on=20 the right track.
 I might add-I was on leave for a year and = taught grades=20 k-5 and it worked for them too.
        = Laurie
-----Original = Message-----