Fwd: students punctuation and speaking

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MPBC90
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 22:44:56 EST

--part0_910669497_boundary

From: MPBC90
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1059
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 22:43:02 EST

In a message dated 11/9/98 5:50:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-artsednet-
digest.edu writes:

<< I wonder if this practice of understanding what a sentence is while
talking (vs a phrase) might carry over to writing and help students
"hear" punctuation, then see it?

Good luck!

Christine Merriam
Kayenta Intermediate School

During our "critique" of 6th Grade sculptures, I had each student 'present'
themself (WHO-the Artist), tell us what their sculpture was in a simple
sentence (WHAT)and then state the TITLE of their sculpture. I cannot count
how many times I had to ask students how they MADE a football
player/cheerleader/etc. instead of phrasing it "This is a sculpture of
a....football player/cheerleader/etc." and then "It's Title is..." The last
thing each student had to do during this presentation was share a thought from
their individual creation process. I told them it could be just about
anything..."I like football, so I decided to make this player catching the
ball" or "I started out with a human figure, but it ended up looking like a
dog, so I added the leash and collar." It was quite fun, and a somewhat
relaxing day for me! I simply encouraged, made suggestions, discouraged
negative criticism of other artwork, encouraged questions and I felt like the
"rush and panic" to show me their artwork near the end of the last class was
addressed. Any comments? Oh, and I could sneak a grade in here and there
throughout this process. Made them "buck-up" like "oooh, she is grading us on
THIS?! our presentation?"

comments. suggestions...

mary-pat clemens
K-6 Art