Re: Re: Re:beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
craig roland (rol1851.EDU)
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 20:31:25 -0500

Sorry I haven't kept up with all the postings on "beauty" and this might
have been addressed in earlier messages. But, I found the following
exchange interesting and it reminded me of an experience some years back.

I recall talking with my students following the Challenger explosion (that
was played over and over on television) about how mesmerizing it was to
watch. While this view was not shared by all my students at the time, we
generally agreed that the event was both violent and yet beautiful. Someone
in class said that there is a French word for such an experience (i.e.,
that is both violent/ugly and beautiful at the same time) but no one knew
what it was at the time. Perhaps, someone on this list is familiar with
this term?

Craig

>In a message dated 11/9/98 10:53:10 PM, ronmoore wrote:
>
><<But think of forms of violence that don't
>involve one person hurting another--the violence of a storm, for example.
>many painters, composers, poets, and novelists have found violent storms
>to be quite beautiful. Look at the success of the recently published A
>PERFECT STORM. But, this makes me wonder what it is about violence in the
>storm that makes people think of it as beautiful. Any ideas?>>
>
>Yes, it is that danger and excitement. It is a bonding experience. Anyone who
>has ever been through a Florida Hurricane or tornado knows what is exciting
>about the power of nature and the rally of human spirit against a power so
>great.
>It is the Moby Dick, the Great Wave and the Towering Inferno. It's the making
>of heros and stories and the moment when they are born or realized.
>Remember those tales from relatives and fire side chats. Triumph over tragedy
>or tragedy with honor... the ultimate sacrifice.
>Debi
>P.S. Sorry to be so melodramatic but we just visited the Viet Nam memorial by
>Maya Lin. It is a common experience that bonds us as humans our vunerability
>but strength and spirit

CRAIG ROLAND. Associate Professor-Art Education.
School of Art and Art History, FAC 302,
University of Florida, Gainesville Florida.
32611-5801. (352) 392-9165 - Art Ed Office (352) 392-8453 - Fax
http://grove.ufl.edu/~rolandc/homepage.html
new email address: rolandc