Re: beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
R. Moore (ronmoore)
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:20:05 -0800 (PST)

Carla,
I think your observation about beautiful renditions of violent
subjects brings out very nicely the important difference between features
proper to an artwork and features proper to its subject. When we think
about it, we find there are lots and lots of artworks that treat horrible,
ugly, even immoral things beautifully. Think of all the great oil
paintings of The Rape of Europa. Think of Goya's treatment of the
Executionof Maximillian, or of Alma-Tadema's treatment of the Feast of
Heliogabalus (in which slave women are pictured being crushed to death
under a torrent of rose petals). And so on. There doesn't seem to be any
clear limit to what can be beautifully portrayed. But, it seems to me at
least that there are some things in life that just can't be beautiful
themselves--rape, murder, needless cruelty, and so on.
Ron Moore