Re: Holiday Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Karen Hurt (khurt)
Mon, 09 Nov 1998 09:35:23 -0500

Gail1611 wrote:

> Karen,
> We do that at our school and I think it works for the kids but it sure ruins
> it for me . Because we can't add Christianity to it - all other religions we
> can. I'm sick of hearing Frosty the Snowman as my representative. So we do
> mock gingerbread houses, mock stain glass using an anything theme, do stuff
> about all the others holidays and celebrations while letting the kids choose
> what they want to create. I put out 7 boxes of ideas for them to chose from.
> But I am lost in all of this and I miss Christmas, the songs, being able to
> say Merry Christmas to others.

Gail, In my search for guidelines I was happy with the ones from Santa Barbara
because the did not negate the Christian experience but also reminded me that
even among Christian beliefs there is quite a bit of diversity. I am sorry that
you are in a situation that does not give room for your own expression.

>From what you say, maybe you don't need any more ideas, but I found another
wonderful resource that I will share with you -- I suspect that my audience is
going to be school age children and this is written for pre-school - 3, but I
used some of the activity suggestions - and there was quite a diversity of
Christian customs represented as well as Japanese and Indian - as springboards
for extensions for older kids:

Globalchild: Multicultural Resources for Young Children by Maureen Cech, 1991,
Addisons-Wesley Pub. Co.

I recommend this book to everyone.

--
Karen Hurt

Grafton Library Mary Baldwin College Staunton, Virginia 24401

540.887.7085 khurt