art history web sites (fwd)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Allison Kehl (akehl)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 22:27:44 -0600 (CST)

Sending this out again because of a correction pointed out to me in the
third website given here- it's www2.iinet.....! Sorry about the mistake!
Allison

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 21:06:47 -0600 (CST)
From: Allison Kehl <akehl>
To: Gail1611, Sal Pienschke <spiensc3.il.us>
Cc: artsednet.edu
Subject: art history web sites

http://www.oir.ucf.edu/wm/paint/auth
This site was a very comprehensive site, with descriptions about
many artists as well as examples of each artists work. Several key
vocabulary words and art history phases, as well as other artists, are
highlighted and then linked to another page with a comprehensive
description of the term or artist, along with examples. This would be
helpful for upper elementary students and teachers as well.

http://witcombe.bcpw.sbc.edu/ARTHLinks.html
This site also had a lot of information to pull from and covered
many centuries and phases of art history, with links to specific phases
and specific time periods in each major phase. This site is put together
from a huge variety of other websites, so that it is all in this one site,
making in even more comprehensive and making each link tie together with
others. Links are also in outline form, once youve chosen a specific
period to find out more information about. Again, I would say that this
site would be good for upper elementary students and teachers as well.

http://www2.iinet.com/art/artists/artists1.htm
This site was a very comprehensive gallery of paintings by
hundreds of artists, both common and not so common. This site would be
useful for when we just want some examples of paintings and not
necessarily all the information. A nice site for just getting the
pictures.

http://www.eduweb.com/pintura/index.html
also: http://www.eduweb.com/insideart/ -for another adventure
also: http://www.eduweb.com/adventure.html - for more adventures
This was the best site that I found. I loved it. This is an
interactive story, which works by following a dialogue to solve the
mystery of who painted a particular painting. Within the dialogue, other
artists, vocabulary words, etc. are highlighted and when clicked on, a
pop-up window appears with a dialogue about that word. The story also has
examples of the paintings, including both the mystery painting and the
painting by the artist being discussed, which are placed next to each
other for comparison. You choose what to do next and what to say and you
are also given the chance to guess whether the artist being discussed
painted the mystery painting and then a dialogue about your answer
follows, concerning why a particular artist might have done that painting
or not. This focuses on specific concepts and elements within the
painting, such as color, composition, style, and subject and often
close-ups of each painting are provided so help demonstrate specific
concepts. At the beginning, the site also has a link to teacher resources
about the activity and a link to other interactive activities. The
teacher resource link tells us that this site is best for 4th graders, and
I agree. Great site! Lots of fun!

Hope this helps those of you interested in some sites and anybody else! It
helped me! Thanks to all those who gave me some ideas! :)
Allison