use of technology

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lily Kerns (cwkerns)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 08:13:52 -0600

I just sent this message to the Ednet mailing list, but thought it might
possibily be of benefit to someone here too, apologies if you get two
copies,,,,,

>However, thus far, I would definitely suggest that you find the sites
>ahead of time with this age group! ...snip...
>I would further suggest that you bookmark the sites that you want to
>use, at least for the 1st and 2nd graders. It can take a whole
>session just getting all of the kids to enter the URL correctly and
>reach the page!

Why not make your own page of links for them to go to. It only takes a
minute of copying and pasting and you don't even have to know HTML....

You may simply copy the lines below from <HTML> to </HTML> in your word
processor and add your own information. (Just be sure not to change
anything else or add extra spaces between the < and > symbols--html can be
very fussy sometimes!) Save it as an .htm or .html file. When you open this
file in your browser, your students will have the links ready for them to
use. Save it as is first, if you wish, then open it in your browser to see
what it does.

To make this a bit simpler without sending a lot of garbage along for some,
I typed what can be changed without any capitols. Anything in caps SHOULD
NOT BE CHANGED--unless, of course, you know what you're doing <g>

page title (for the browser's benefit)

title or page/class/period identification

explanatory text or directions go here.

another paragraph.

this is the first link for your page. type your url where indicated. the text to be blue and underlined goes between the A tags and the rest can continue here.

this is the second link for your page. type your url where indicated. the text to be blue and underlined goes between the A tags and the rest can continue here.

if you want your students to email their notes or report to you, use this tag: e-mail your report to me! ~~~~~~~ There's more to HTML than this, but you don't have to be afraid of it. And there are excellent tutorials available on the web. Here's an excellent one to get you started. Lots more good stuff on this site too. http://www.siec.k12.in.us/~west/online and another-- http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/index.html and here's links to more information http://www.siec.k12.in.us/~west/sites/tech.htm Hope this information will be useful. Lily ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lily Kerns CWKerns Art Teachers-- http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Dell/9575 Personal-- http://members.tripod.com/~LilyK/ Quilt guild-- http://www.orion.org/~opqg