Re: Line & Pattern

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Fri, 06 Nov 1998 20:40:09 -0500

SBWellman wrote:

> I have my 6th graders do what I like to call "Body Decorating".
>
> Do a discussion on tribes,... why they use body decorating in relation to rituals, ... trace their hands ...fill in
> the hands doing different designs...

Thanks Sandy!
Sometimes I save wonderful pictures from Nat'l Geographic, Smithsonian,
etc. because I just know someday I'll find a way to use them in a lesson
and this one did it for me! There is a custom in some Arabic cultures of
painting designs on the hands of brides with henna. It's called "lailat
al henna" and is beautifully illustrated in a Nat'l Geographic article
from maybe 1 or 2 (maybe 3) years ago. In the photo the bride's hands
and forearms are covered with reddish colored filigree patterns. If
anyone is interested in locating this image, the article is titled
"Oman" by Peter Ross Range and could be looked up in the NG or
periodical index. This would also tie into tattoos in the the Maori (New
Zealand) culture and, if I remember correctly, some cultures in New
Guinea.
Linda in not so gold and blue anymore Michigan