Re: allotted time for art-grades 7 & 8

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jasmine Preston (jdp30)
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:21:11 -0600

6th graders must choose a year of band, a year of choir or a semester of
art and a semester of theater. 7th and 8th graders have a much wider
choice of electives. Their are three art courses available to them:
Drawing & Painting, Sculpture, Ceramics & Printmaking, and Crafts Culture.
These classes are a semester each. All classes are purely elective with no
prerequisites. Each class has students who have had no art along with
students who have taken every class available. At the high school level,
they must take one year of Fine Arts. If they choose art instead of band,
choir, etc., they must take Art I. So, again they are students with years
of art in with students who have never had an art class. There is no
elementary art offered except in magnet schools.

One advantage to your system, if I understand it correctly is that they are
required to take art. It's not much, but you do get to see everyone.

Jasmine
jdp30

> From: One of the Colmans <colmans1>
> To: artsednet.edu
> Subject: allotted time for art-grades 7 & 8
> Date: Friday, November 06, 1998 5:35 AM
>
> I teach 7th and 8th grade art. My students have art for 9 weeks, 4 times
> per week, for only one out of the 2 years they are in the junior high.
The