Re: a question to you

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MarshArt
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:45:19 EST

In a message dated 11/4/98 8:09:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, WRapf
writes:

> I am an art ed. Student at the University of Wyoming in Laramie.
> My question: How do art teachers make time and justify being working
> artists while they teach?

It is hard to juggle my own art career and teaching. Somedays my creativity is
"worn out". However, I think that it is essential for us to develop our own
talents as well as that of our students.

I have exhibited regularly in juried shows which pit me up against stiff
competition. It hones me and makes ME a better artist. I definitely that feel
being well-rounded in the art scene has made me a better teacher. I am more
aware of what is expected in competitions and in presentation. I've learned
how the judges critique work. I have learned what needs to be improved in my
own art. I have acutely developed my "eye" to be more sensitive to the
principles of design and the elements. All this did not come from teaching
the kids, as much as my association with the professional art world.
Then I give it all back to the students.

Try hard to keep up your own aspirations. Set your goals and work at them.

Marsha